Employee Health: Rhode Island
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Leanne Coffman, The Safety Training Solution LLC
- Rhode Island has reporting requirements that cover diseases and medical conditions that may impact public health. See Reporting Infectious Diseases.
- Employers should not discriminate due to the off-duty conduct of employees who engage in smoking or use of tobacco products. See Off Duty Conduct.
- Rhode Island prohibits smoking in nearly all enclosed public places, as well as in any enclosed area of employment. See Smoking at Work.
- Rhode Island permits the use of medical marijuana. See Medical Marijuana.
- Rhode Island has a Good Samaritan law, which provides conditional protection for those offering voluntary medical care. See Good Samaritan Law.