Employment Offer: Texas
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Authors: Shafeeqa Watkins Giarratani and Kimberly King, Norton Rose Fulbright
- Employment offers for a term of employment for more than one year must be in writing. See Verbal Offers.
- Subject to federal law, Texas employers may condition an employment offer upon additional requirements, including background checks, reference checks, and medical examinations. See Conditional Employment Offers.
- Texas employers should apply all conditions of employment for a particular job position consistently in order to limit potential exposure to discrimination claims. See Conditional Employment Offers.
- Texas generally allows employers to revoke written offers of at-will employment before the prospective employee begins work, but an employer may be liable to a prospective employee who relies on the employment offer to his or her detriment. See Withdrawing Employment Offers.
- Austin has requirements pertaining to employment offers. See Local Requirements.