FMLA: District of Columbia
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Peter J. Petesch, Littler
- In addition to the federal laws, employers may also be required to provide leave under the District of Columbia Family and Medical Leave Act and the Accrued Sick and Safe Leave Act. See Family and Medical Leave, Generally.
- Paid sick leave is available to eligible employees, and the amount of paid sick leave available varies by the size of the employer and the amount of hours the employee works. See Paid Sick Leave.
- Employers may be required to provide time off to recover from childbirth as a reasonable accommodation. See Pregnancy Leave and Accommodation.
- The Universal Paid Leave Amendment Act provides employees with paid parental, family and medical leave benefits that are funded by employer contributions. See Paid Family and Medical Leave.
- Other types of leave may be available to District of Columbia employees - some required by federal law, and some provided by company policy, as well as several sources of income replacement. See Interaction of Leave Laws.