Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Roberta L. Ruiz, Littler
- In addition to the federal laws, Maine employers may also be subject to the Maine Family and Medical Leave Act and family military leave law. See Family and Medical Leave.
- Employers in Maine with 15 or more employees at one location in the state must provide up to 10 weeks of family and medical leave in any two years. See Maine Family and Medical Leave Act.
- Employers in Maine with 15 or more employees must provide up to 15 days per year of family military leave to eligible employees. See Family Military Leave.
- Maine's family sick leave (or kin care leave) law requires employers with 25 or more employees that have a policy for providing paid leave to allow employees to use up to 40 hours in a 12-month period to care for an immediate family member who is ill. See Kin Care Leave.
- Other types of leave may be available to Maine employees - some required by federal, state or local law, and some provided by company policy, as well as several sources of income replacement. See Interaction of Leave Laws.