Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Ilisa S. Clark, Littler
- Massachusetts employers are subject to a variety of family and medical leave laws. See Family and Medical Leave.
- Under the Massachusetts Small Necessities Leave Act (SNLA) a covered employer must provide an eligible employee with a total of 24 hours of unpaid leave during any 12-month period to do things such as go with their child to a routine medical appointment. See Small Necessities Leave.
- The Massachusetts Parental Leave Act (MPLA) requires a covered employer to provide an eligible employee with up to eight weeks of unpaid leave for the birth, adoption or placement of a child. See Parental Leave.
- A covered employer may be required to provide a leave of absence to a pregnant employee as a reasonable accommodation. See Pregnancy Accommodations.
- Certain Massachusetts employers must provide eligible employees with paid sick leave. See Paid Sick Leave.