FMLA: New York
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Jean L. Schmidt, Littler
- New York employers are subject to a variety of family and medical leave laws. See Family and Medical Leave.
- An employee may be eligible for temporary disability benefits while on leave under the federal Family and Medical Leave Act. See Temporary Disability Insurance.
- An employee may be eligible for paid family leave benefits when taking leave to care for a family member with a serious health condition, to bond with a new child or due to a qualifying military exigency. See Paid Family Leave.
- An employer may be required to provide leave for pregnancy and adoption. See Pregnancy Leave and Accommodation; Adoption Leave.
- An employer with 20 or more employees must provide unpaid leave to eligible employees whose spouse is on leave while deployed during a period of military conflict. See Family Military Leave.
- Localities including New York City and Westchester County have laws pertaining to paid safe and sick leave and pregnancy leave and accommodation. See Local Requirements.