Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Susan A. P. Woodhouse, Littler
- Pennsylvania does not have a state family and medical leave law applicable to private employers. See Family and Medical Leave.
- Employees must be treated equally when it comes to taking time off following the birth or adoption of a child. See Childrearing Leave.
- If an employer provides leave for temporary disabilities, it also must provide leave for pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions. See Pregnancy Disability Leave.
- Other types of leave may be available to Pennsylvania employees - some required by federal, state or local law, and some provided by company policy, as well as several sources of income replacement. See Interaction of Leave Laws.
- Localities including Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have requirements pertaining to family and medical leave. See Local Requirements.