Health Care Benefits: Louisiana
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Jayne Zanglein, Western Carolina University
- Louisiana chose not to establish a state-based Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. See Health Insurance Marketplaces Under the ACA.
- Louisiana has taken steps to preserve certain benefits made available under the Affordable Care Act. See Preserving ACA Benefits.
- Same-sex marriage is legal nationwide. See Same-Sex Partner Benefits.
- Louisiana health mandates apply to group health insurance, accident plans and HMOs. See Scope of Mandates.
- Group health plans that allow dependents to enroll, must include coverage for newborns. See Dependent Coverage.
- Group health plans must provide basic health care for children. See Basic Health Care Services - Children.
- Group health plans must cover certain women's health benefits. See Women's Health Care Services.
- Group health plans must cover prostate cancer screening for men. See Prostate Cancer Screening.
- Group health plans must provide mental health benefits and parity. See Mental Health Benefits and Parity.
- Group health plans must provide coverage for diabetes. See Diabetes - Related Services and Supplies.
- Group health plans must provide coverage for certain specified health providers. See Coverage for Specified Providers.
- Group health plans must provide coverage for certain illnesses, services and supplies. See Other Coverage Requirements.
- Employer policyholders of group health plans may consent to electronic delivery of insurance documents and notices on behalf of their covered employees if certain conditions are met. See Electronic Delivery of Insurance Documents and Notices .