Health Care Benefits: Ohio
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Jayne Zanglein, Western Carolina University
- Ohio chose not to establish a state-based Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. See Health Insurance Marketplaces Under the ACA.
- Same-sex marriage is legal nationwide. See Same-Sex Partner Benefits.
- Ohio health mandates apply to commercial group sickness and accident insurance plans and health insuring corporations' policies, contracts and certificates of insurance. See Scope of Mandates.
- Group health plans that allow dependents to enroll, must include coverage for newborns. See Dependent Coverage.
- Group health plans must provide basic health care for children. See Basic Health Care Services - Children.
- Health insuring companies must provide basic health care benefits for adults and children. See Basic Health Care Services - Children and Adults.
- Group health plans must cover certain women's health benefits. See Women's Health Care Services.
- Group health plans must provide mental health benefits and parity. See Mental Health Benefits and Parity.
- Group health plans must provide coverage for certain illnesses, services and supplies. See Dialysis and Prescription Drugs for Cancer Treatment.