Health Care Benefits: Tennessee
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Patricia A. Morley, Research and Writing Associates
- Tennessee chose not to establish a state-based Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. See Health Insurance Marketplaces Under the ACA.
- Same-sex marriage is legal nationwide. See Same-Sex Partner Benefits.
- Group health plans must include certain maternity and dependent coverage. See Maternity and Dependent Coverage.
- Group health plans must provide coverage for the treatment of mental illness. See Mental Health Benefits.
- Group health plans must provide coverage for specified providers. See Coverage for Specified Providers.
- Group health plans that provide coverage for mastectomy must provide coverage for reconstructive breast surgery. See Reconstructive Breast Surgery.
- Health plans must provide coverage for certain other illnesses, diseases, and medical and surgical procedures. See Diabetes Coverage; Bone Mass Measurement and Phenylketonuria Treatment.
- Certain coverage with regard to children and dependents is mandatory. See Coverage for Children and Dependents.
- Group health plans must cover certain forms of cancer screening and provide coverage for new cancer treatments under investigation. See Cancer Screening and Treatment.