Health Care Benefits: West Virginia
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Eric E. Kinder, Spilman Thomas & Battle PLLC
- West Virginia chose to establish a state-federal partnership Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. See Health Insurance Marketplaces Under the ACA.
- Same-sex marriage is legal nationwide. See Same-Sex Partner Benefits.
- Group health plans are required to include certain provisions. See Group Health Plan Requirements.
- Group health plans must provide for mental health parity. See Mental Health Parity.
- Medical and emergency response employers must cover the cost of post-exposure HIV testing. See Post-Exposure Care and Treatment.
- Health benefit plans must provide certain benefits for diabetics. See Coverage for Diabetics.
- Small employers in West Virginia are eligible to establish small group plans. See Small Employer Insurance Policies.
- Insurers are prohibited from discriminating against individuals for certain reasons. See Prohibition on Insurer Discrimination.
- A religious employer may exclude or restrict contraceptive drugs and devices from its health care insurance plan. See Religious Employer Exemption.