Health Care Continuation (COBRA): Iowa
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Authors: Stuart R. Buttrick and Susan W. Kline, Faegre Baker Daniels LLP
- Iowa law provides additional rights to Iowa employees to continue their coverage under a group health insurance policy upon the termination of their employment. See Continuation of Benefits.
- Employees must satisfy certain requirements in order to qualify for continuation of benefits under Iowa law. See Qualifications for Continuation of Benefits.
- Iowa employers must provide written notice to employees and covered dependents of their rights under Iowa Continuation of Benefits law and upon certain changes to the group policy. See Notice of Continuation Rights or Other Changes to Group Policy.
- To continue their coverage under a group policy, employees are required to make the required election and pay the employer-required contribution for the group policy. See Election to Continue Benefits.
- Under Iowa law, employers are only required to provide continuation coverage for a certain period of time, or until the covered person is no longer qualified for continuation benefits. See End of Continuation Coverage.