Hours Worked: Maryland
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- Under Maryland law, hours worked during a workweek is the time an employee is required by the employer to be on the employer's premises, on duty, or at a prescribed workplace, and may include meal periods and travel time. See Hours Worked.
- Employees must be paid for meal breaks unless they are completely relieved from duty. Certain retail employees must be provided rest breaks. See Break Periods.
- Maryland law provides some restrictions on the hours that may be worked by some employees. See Hours of Work Restrictions.
- Maryland also has day of rest requirements. See Day of Rest.
- Baltimore has requirements pertaining to breastfeeding breaks. See Local Requirements.