HR and Workplace Safety: Florida
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Leanne Coffman
- Private sector employers in Florida are under the jurisdiction of federal OSHA. See Federal OSHA.
- Certain employers may fall under OSHA enforcement programs, which may merit additional vigilance to prevent hazards in the workplace. See Additional State-Specific Compliance Requirements.
- Florida has a four year statute of limitations for individuals to sue for personal injuries, such as for injuries or illnesses caused by toxic chemicals. See Toxic Chemicals.
- Florida has a statewide ban on texting while driving.See Cell Phone Use While Driving.
- Private sector employers are under a legal duty to drug test employees, but should they choose to do so, employers must follow specific requirements prescribed under Florida law. See Drug and Alcohol Testing as a Safety Measure.