HR and Workplace Safety: Iowa
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Authors: Stuart R. Buttrick, Susan W. Kline, Angela Morales and Samantha M. Rollins, Faegre Baker Daniels LLP
- Iowa is a State Plan state. See Iowa Occupational Safety and Health Act.
- IOSHA regulations incorporate the standards in many of the federal regulations. See Compliance Requirements.
- In addition to incorporating certain federal standards, regulations under IOSHA also specifically address certain areas including, for example, railways and asbestos removal, and Iowa has a Hazardous Chemicals Risks Right to Know Act. See Compliance Requirements.
- Iowa has a workers' compensation statute, occupational disease compensation statute and occupational hearing loss statute. See Workers' Compensation and Lawsuits.
- Under Iowa law, it is a simple misdemeanor to write, send or read a text message while driving. See Driving Policies.
- Iowa's drug and alcohol testing statute allows testing under certain circumstances, which include investigations of certain workplace accidents. See Drug and Alcohol Testing.