HR and Workplace Safety: Massachusetts
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Leanne Coffman
- Private sector employers in Massachusetts are under the jurisdiction of federal OSHA. SeeFederal OSHA.
- Massachusetts has additional requirements that apply to public workers, including asbestos, lead and hazardous chemicals in the workplace. SeeAdditional State-Specific Compliance Requirements.
- Massachusetts has a three year statute of limitations for individuals to sue for personal injuries, such as for injuries or illnesses caused by toxic chemicals. SeeStatute of Limitations for Toxic Chemicals.
- The state prohibits a driver of a motor vehicle from using a mobile electronic device, including a cell phone, unless it is being used in hands-free mode.See Driving Policies.
- Massachusetts does not have specific drug and alcohol testing laws governing private employers,but privacy of individuals should be considered. See Drug and Alcohol Testing as a Safety Measure.