HR and Workplace Safety: Tennessee
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Leanne Coffman
- Tennessee has a federally approved State Plan, which covers private and public sector employers. See Compliance Overview.
- There are several state-specific rules that Tennessee applies to minimize various hazards in the workplace. See Additional State-Specific Compliance Requirements.
- Tennessee has a one-year statute of limitations for individuals to sue for personal injuries. See Statute of Limitations.
- Tennessee has a law addressing abusive workplace conduct. See Abusive Workplace Conduct.
- The state has enacted laws that make texting and driving a primary offense for all drivers. See Driving Policies.
- Tennessee employers who voluntarily establish a drug-free workplace program may qualify for a five percent premium credit on workers' compensation insurance policies. See Drug and Alcohol Testing as a Safety Measure.