Insurance and Disability Benefits: Massachusetts
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Gloria Ju
- Massachusetts employers are not required to provide life insurance benefits. If life insurance benefits are provided, certain requirements must be met. See Group Life Insurance.
- If a Massachusetts employer offers group life insurance, premiums for the policies may be paid from different sources. See Employer Contribution and Coverage Requirements.
- Employees are entitled to a minimum grace period for paying premiums, except the first. See Grace Period.
- Group life insurance policies may be converted to individual policies under some circumstances. See Conversion Rights.
- Massachusetts provides for paid family and medical leave benefits. See Paid Family and Medical Leave Insurance.