Interviewing and Selecting Job Candidates: Florida
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Jolee Land, Phelps Dunbar LLP
- The Florida Civil Rights Act prohibits discrimination based on numerous protected classes including marital status. See Florida Civil Rights Act.
- Florida law also specifically prohibits discrimination based on infection with AIDS or an AIDS-related complex, infection with HIV, and HIV testing. See Florida Omnibus AIDS Act.
- Several Florida counties and cities prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity. See Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity.
- Florida recognizes claims for negligent hiring, but provides a presumption against a finding of negligent hiring for employers who take reasonable care. See Negligent Hiring.
- State agencies under the direction of the governor must use the federal E-Verify system in the hiring process and in the award of state contracts. See E-Verify.
- Florida public officials are not permitted to hire family members, nor are they permitted to advocate for the hiring of any family members. See Anti-Nepotism.