Interviewing and Selecting Job Candidates: Ohio
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- Ohio's laws against discrimination in employment are generally consistent with federal laws and regulations, but Ohio's provisions are somewhat more broad. See Ohio Civil Rights Act.
- Employers should avoid preemployment inquiries concerning protected class status. See Preemployment Inquiries
- Employers should avoid inquiries regarding criminal offenses that have been expunged or sealed. See Arrest and Conviction Inquiries.
- Ohio employers should use caution when conducting reference checks. See Reference Checks.
- Localities including Cincinnati and Toledo have requirements pertaining to interviewing and selecting job candidates. See Local Requirements.