Jury Duty: Alabama
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Susan A. P. Woodhouse, Littler
- Upon receiving a jury duty summons, an employee must present the summons to his or her immediate supervisor on the next day the employee reports to work. See Employers Obligated to Provide Leave.
- All Alabama employees must be excused from work to serve on a jury. See Employees Qualified for Leave.
- Employees have certain notification requirements with respect to jury duty leave. See Employee Notice Requirements.
- Full-time employees must be paid their usual compensation while serving on a jury. See Compensation During Leave.
- An employer may not terminate or subject an employee to an adverse employment action, such as a demotion or a reduction in pay or hours, solely because the employee serves on a jury, subject to a limited exception. See Prohibited Actions.