New Hire Paperwork: South Carolina
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Meryl Gutterman, Nukk-Freeman & Cerra, P.C.
- South Carolina requires an employer of five or more employees to notify each employee in writing at the time of hire of the wages agreed upon, the time and place of payment, and the deductions that will be made from wages, including insurance programs. See Pay Notification.
- An employer must provide notice of its drug prevention program to employees. See Drug Prevention Program Notice.
- Notice of the right to pregnancy accommodations must be provided to employees. See Pregnancy Accommodations Notification.
- South Carolina employers must obtain a Form SC W-4 as well as a federal Form W-4 from each new employee for tax withholding purposes. See Employee Withholding Forms.
- If an employer distributes an employee handbook that sets forth personnel policies, the employee should sign an acknowledgement of receipt of the employee handbook indicating that employment is at-will. See Handbook Acknowledgement.