Other Leaves: Michigan
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Daniel Cohen, Pilchak & Cohen, PC
- There are various types of leave that may be available to an employee in Michigan. See Leaves of Absence.
- Michigan does not have a state family and medical leave law applicable to private employers .See Family and Medical Leave.
- A covered employer must provide eligible employees with paid sick and safe leave under the Paid Medical Leave Act. See Paid Sick Leave.
- An employer may not terminate an employee for serving as a juror. See Jury Duty Leave.
- An employer may not terminate an employee who must attend court as a victim of a crime or victim representative. See Crime Victim Leave.
- Michigan law does not require that a private employer provide an employee with a leave of absence to vote. See Voting Leave.
- Michigan law provides leave and reemployment rights, which extend coverage beyond the federal Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Act to state National Guard and state militia members See Military Leave.