Preemployment Screening and Testing: Idaho
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Authors: Scott Randolph and William Dabney, Holland & Hart LLP.
- Employers should carefully check an applicant's employment history, criminal history and references to avoid potential negligent hiring lawsuits. See Negligent Hiring.
- Idaho employers are not restricted by state law in seeking criminal history checks for job applicants or employees. See Background Checks.
- Job applicants for certain positions must undergo a background check as a condition of employment. See Mandatory Background Checks.
- If an Idaho private employer performs preemployment drug tests, it must have a written policy describing the types of tests that will be performed, and include a statement that a positive test may result in a refusal to hire. See Drug and Alcohol Testing.
- State agencies and contractors have an additional mandatory screening requirement. See E-Verify.
- Polygraph testing cannot be required as a condition of employment. See Polygraph Tests.