Preemployment Screening and Testing: Kentucky
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: William C. Vail, Jr., Fisher Phillips
- Care should be taken when refusing to hire an individual due to a criminal background search. See Criminal Records.
- Certain types of Kentucky employers must conduct criminal background checks of job applicants. See Mandatory Background Checks.
- Performing documented background checks can help an employer avoid liability for a claim of negligent hiring. See Negligent Hiring.
- Kentucky law provides an employer with a path for avoiding liability for negligent hiring if it chooses to hire a person who failed an employment-related drug screen. See Drug Testing.
- Kentucky employers are prohibited from discharging or refusing to hire an individual due to AIDS or HIV except in very limited circumstances. See AIDS Testing.
- Louisville has requirements pertaining to preemployment screening and testing. See Local Requirements.