Preemployment Screening and Testing: Massachusetts
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- Massachusetts has detailed requirements for employers using criminal history records for employment purposes. See The CORI Reform Law; Arrest and Conviction Records; Performing Background Checks.
- There are some best practices employers should follow when conducting background checks to minimize the risk of litigation. See Suggested Practices; Third Party Background Checks.
- Massachusetts law prohibits employers from using polygraph tests for employment purposes. See Polygraph Tests.
- Employers may have applicants undergo medical examinations in certain limited circumstances. See Medical Testing.
- Massachusetts law generally permits private employers to require drug testing of applicants where the employer can demonstrate a legitimate business need for the testing that outweighs the invasion into the employee's privacy. See Drug Testing.
- Massachusetts prohibits employers from requiring employees to undergo genetic testing. See Genetic Testing.