Preemployment Screening and Testing: Nebraska
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Authors: Kathryn E. Jones and Homero E. Vela, Kutak Rock LLP
- Nebraska law regulates background checks for employment purposes, including checks into a job applicant's arrest records. See Arrest and Conviction Records.
- Employment-related polygraph testing is disfavored in Nebraska. See Polygraph/Lie Detector Tests.
- Nebraska is among the states that make use of the federal E-Verify system mandatory for certain employers. See Using E-Verify to Check Immigration Status.
- Employers generally may conduct drug and alcohol testing as a condition of employment subject to state laws regulating how the tests are performed and how the results are handled. See Drug and Alcohol Testing Programs.
- Nebraska employees and job applicants receive protections against discrimination on the basis of HIV and genetic testing. See Medical Testing.