Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Toby Dykes, Constangy, Brooks, Smith & Prophete, LLP
- Employers should be aware of any potential noncompetition, nonsolicitation or confidentiality provisions. See Noncompete and Nonsolicitation Agreements.
- State agencies, public schools and other employers supported by the state may not discriminate against the visually impaired and other individuals with disabilities. See Public Employers.
- Alabama law prohibits any person from hiring an alien who is not authorized to work in the United States. See Employment Verification.
- American Indians and Alaskan natives who are citizens or permanent residents of the United States must be included by any employer who initiates or sponsors an affirmative action program. See Affirmative Action.
- Alabama employers may give preference to veterans over other qualified applicants in hiring, promotion and retention. See Veterans Preference Policy.
- Alabama has prohibitions on the hiring of underage workers for certain hazardous occupations. See Child Labor.