Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Authors: Paige A. Martin and Mary Grace McNear, Kutak Rock LLP
- Arizona mirrors federal law in banning job advertisements and notices that discriminate against a protected class unless they relate to a bona fide occupational qualification. See Job Advertisements and Notices.
- Employers must not discourage certain groups from applying for a particular position. See Qualified Individuals With Disabilities.
- Arizona permits programs that reward employees for referring qualified recruits to their current employer. See Employee Referrals.
- A private employer may adopt a veterans preference policy for decisions regarding hiring and promotion. See Veterans Preference.
- Arizona regulates the hiring of minors for many jobs, especially occupations that might be deemed hazardous. See Underage Workers.
- Localities including Phoenix, Tempe and Tucson have requirements pertaining to recruiting.See Local Requirements.