Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- Employers and job seekers may take advantage of hiring and recruitment resources provided by Iowa Workforce Development. See Methods and Sources.
- Iowa antidiscrimination laws prohibit more types of discrimination than federal law, including discrimination based on sexual orientation. See Iowa Antidiscrimination Laws.
- Although advertising and social media may be extremely helpful during the recruitment process, employers should take care not to demonstrate preference for, or take into account, protected characteristics when making hiring decisions through social media. See Advertising and Social Media.
- Iowa private employers may grant a hiring preference to veterans if they choose to do so. See Veterans Preference.
- Employers need to classify correctly new hires as employees or independent contractors to comply with several Iowa employment laws, including unemployment insurance laws. See Independent Contractors.
- Employers should be aware that employees have a right to examine their personnel files, including certain documentation made during the recruitment process. See Personnel Files.