Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Christin Choi, Fisher Phillips
- The Pennsylvania Human Relations Act (PHRA) prohibits recruiting practices that are based on several protected characteristics including race, color, religion, sex and others. See Discriminatory Recruiting Practices.
- In advertising for potential employment candidates, employers and employment agencies may not print or publish any advertisement that indicates any preference, limitation, specification or discrimination based upon any protected category. See Job Advertisements and Notices.
- Pennsylvania employers may not deny or limit employment through a quota system, and limit recruiting or hiring individuals from any employment agency that predominantly services individuals in the same protected category. See Quota System.
- Philadelphia and Pittsburgh both have antidiscrimination ordinances that go further than Pennsylania law. See City Ordinances.
- Private employers may adopt a veterans preference policy in employment provided it is in writing and is included in any job posting. See Veterans Preference.