Recruiting: South Dakota
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Gloria Ju
- The South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation provides a wide range of free employer services, including maintaining the largest labor pool database in the state. See Methods and Sources.
- State law prohibiting discrimination in recruiting and job advertisements covers a broader range of employers than federal antidiscrimination laws. See Unlawful Discrimination.
- Employers that recruit minors must comply with state child labor laws. See Underage Workers.
- If an employer chooses to recruit an independent contractor instead of an employee, it must ensure it understands the differences between the two. See Independent Contractors.
- South Dakota generally bans discrimination in employment decisions against smokers. See Smokers' Rights.