Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Authors: Elizabeth Dunning and William Dabney, Holland & Hart LLP
- A Utah employer may not engage in discriminatory hiring practices based upon various protected characteristics. See Antidiscrimination Protections.
- The Utah Department of Workforce Services provides an online resource in which employers can post job openings, review resumes and obtain information on state and federal business laws, hiring incentives and tax requirements. See Methods and Sources.
- Veterans, resident contractors and United States citizens are given preference in hiring. See Affirmative Action.
- In Utah, restrictions apply to hiring minors including limits on the hours they can work. See Underage Workers.
- Employers must understand the difference between hiring employees versus independent contractors because misclassifying workers can have serious financial and legal consequences. See Independent Contractors.
- Utah has requirements concerning the verification and hiring of immigrants in addition to those of the US Citizenship and Immigration Services. See Immigration Verification.