Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Heather Rider Hammond, Gravel & Shea, PC
- Vermont's Department of Labor provides helpful information to employers and employees for recruitment purposes. See Resources for Vermont Employers.
- Vermont law prohibits discrimination in all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting. See Vermont Fair Employment Practices Act.
- While all employers must ensure that their recruitment practices do not violate Vermont law, state employers must also meet affirmative action requirements as well. See Affirmative Action Requirements.
- Employers that recruit underage workers should ensure that their hiring practices comply with Vermont law. See Recruitment of Minors.
- If an employer chooses to recruit an independent contractor instead of an employee, it must ensure that the individual meets all of the criteria for an independent contractor. See Employee vs. Independent Contractor.