Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Jessica Sussman
- Employers that opt to rely on employee referrals exclusively should keep in mind that doing so may violate federal and Washington state antidiscrimination laws. See Methods and Sources.
- The Washington Law Against Discrimination (WLAD) prohibts discrimination against applicants when recruiting as well as with respect to job advertising. See Unlawful Discrimination.
- Private employers may grant a hiring preference to honorably discharged veterans and the spouses of veterans with a service connected permanent and total disability. See Veterans Preference.
- Employers should use caution when recruiting independent contractors. See Independent Contractors.
- Washington employers may not recruit or hire minors for certain positions that are deemed hazardous. See Underage Workers.