Social Security and Medicare: Federal
Author: Jayne Zanglein, Western Carolina University
- The Social Security Act provides workers and their families with income replacement upon retirement, the death of a spouse and permanent disability. See Social Security.
- When individuals work and pay Social Security taxes, they earn credits towards Social Security benefits. See Social Security Benefits.
- Social Security provides retirement benefits, disability benefits, death benefits and survivor's benefits. See Social Security Benefits.
- Medicare is a federal health insurance program for certain qualified individuals. See Medicare.
- Medicare is composed of four programs. See Medicare Benefits.