The Unionization Process: Louisiana
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Brooke Duncan III, Adams and Reese LLP
- Private sector labor relations for most employers in Louisiana are subject to the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA). See Union Organizing and Collective Bargaining Rights.
- Employees have the right to form unions and engage in collective bargaining. See Union Organizing and Collective Bargaining Rights.
- The state cannot require private employers to have unions. See Government Cannot Mandate Unionization of Private Employers.
- Agricultural workers have a right to organize and collectively bargain with their employer. See Agricultural Workers.
- Louisiana is a "right to work" state, so employees cannot be forced to join a union. See Right to Work.
- State law protects employees against retaliation for participating in enforcement of state labor laws. See Unfair Labor Practices.