The Unionization Process: North Dakota
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Authors: Joel Fremstad and Lynn Block, Fremstad Law
- The North Dakota Labor-Management Relations Act sets forth the rights of employees to form and participate in a union. See Forming a Union.
- North Dakota is a "right to work" state. See Right to Work.
- The North Dakota Labor Commissioner determines the bargaining unit upon considering several factors. See Determination of the Bargaining Unit.
- The execution of collective bargaining agreements between the union must be by persons designated under +N.D.C.C. § 34-09-06.See Collective Bargaining Agreements between Union and Employer.
- Employer communication policies must be applied uniformly and not discriminate against union activity. See Employer Communications Policy Regarding Union Organizing.