Unemployment Insurance: District of Columbia
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Authors: Stuart R. Buttrick, Susan W. Kline and Jenie Van Hampton, Faegre Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Unemployment insurance provides partial wage replacement to unemployed workers while they conduct an active search for work. Most employers are subject to the District of Columbia Unemployment Compensation Act. See District of Columbia Unemployment Insurance.
- Some individuals may not be eligible to receive unemployment benefits. See District of Columbia Unemployment Insurance.
- An individual's benefit amount is calculated based upon a number of factors. See Benefits.
- Claimants must meet certain requirements in order to be eligible for unemployment benefits. See Eligibility.
- Employers must follow certain recordkeeping and posting requirements. See Recordkeeping Requirements; Posting Requirement.