Unemployment Insurance: New York
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Nancy Hatch Woodward, Nancy Hatch Woodward Communications
- Employers finance unemployment insurance with state and federal tax contributions. See New York Unemployment Insurance.
- Most employers in New York are subject to New York's Unemployment Insurance Law. See New York Unemployment Insurance.
- Claimants must meet certain requirements in order to be eligible for unemployment benefits. See Eligibility.
- In general, New York unemployment benefits are available for a maximum of 26 weeks. See Benefits.
- Employers need to comply with notice, posting and recordkeeping requirements. See Notice and Posting Requirements; Recordkeeping Requirements.