How are workplace injuries and illnesses recorded for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)?

Authors: John D. Surma and Collin G. Warren, Adams and Reese LLP

If an illness or injury needs to be recorded, it should first be put on OSHA Form 300. An employer should first determine if the incident resulted in an injury or illness. There is a portion of the form for both. Once this has been determined, it should be recorded on the right portion of the form. The employer should include details about what happened and how it happened. If the incident resulted in days away from work, job transfer or restricted job duties, the employer should include the amount of days that this occurred.

If there is a lot of information, the employer can use OSHA Form 301 as a supplement. At the end of the year, the employer should count the total number of injuries and illnesses and record it on OSHA Form 300a, which must be posted from February 1 to April 30 every year, even when the total is zero.