Podcast: New 2020 California Laws Pose Challenges for Employers
On this podcast, Littler shareholder Bruce Sarchet takes a deep dive into the many new California employment laws effective January 1, 2020, with XpertHR Legal Editor David Weisenfeld.
Sarchet highlights AB 5, which would reclassify an estimated 2 million workers in California from independent contractors to employees. It is a development which Sarchet calls "staggering," and said, "It touches virtually every business arrangement in California." But AB 5 is far from the only notable new employment law. Others Sarchet discusses include laws:
- Banning mandatory arbitration;
- Banning no-rehire agreements as part of a settlement;
- Providing new privacy protections for employees;
- Protecting employees from hairstyle discrimination; and
- Expanding accommodations for lactating mothers.