Discipline an Employee Using Progressive Discipline
When to Use This Flowchart
Use the Discipline an Employee Using Progressive Discipline flowchart to determine whether progressive discipline should be implemented by the employer and, if so, how to navigate through the process effectively.
An employer that is considering using progressive discipline as a means to correct problematic employee behavior or to address other workplace misconduct may find this flowchart particularly valuable. By implementing progressive discipline, an employer may tailor its response to the specific nature of the violation or misconduct and increase the likelihood of an employee getting back on the right track.
An employer may fit this flowchart to the organization's particular needs, whether the workplace is union-free, partially unionized or unionized. Following this flowchart will enable an employer to make smart decisions regarding employee discipline, which may shield the employer from greater liability risks.
- Identify an issue that warrants discipline
- Determine the appropriate level of discipline for the employee
- Discipline the employee
- Keep discipline records
Key "What if?" Events
- What if the employee is not an at-will employee, or is under contract?
- What if the employer is a public entity or a public contractor?
- What if the workplace is unionized or partially unionized?