Austria: Health and safety
Consultant editor: Martin Risak
See the legal services provided by the authors/consultant editors of XpertHR International > Austria, including any discounts/offers for subscribers.
- Detailed legislation on health and safety applies to employment in all workplaces. (See General)
- Employers have a duty to ensure the protection of employees' health and safety in all aspects related to work, and have numerous specific statutory health and safety obligations. (See Duties on employers and employees)
- In establishments with more than 10 employees, the employer must appoint one or more safety representatives to represent employees on health and safety matters, while works councils have various information and consultation rights in this area. (See Safety representatives)
- The public Labour Inspectorate is responsible for monitoring and enforcing compliance with health and safety legislation. (See Enforcement and penalties)
- There is a statutory occupational accident and illness insurance scheme, to which all employers must contribute in respect of all employees. (See Compensation for occupational injury or illness)