Intermittent and Reduced Schedule FMLA Leave - Supervisor Briefing
Author: Meryl Gutterman, formerly of Nukk-Freeman & Cerra, P.C.
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) permits eligible employees to take leave intermittently, or on a reduced schedule, for a single qualifying reason. Administering an employee's request for intermittent or reduced schedule leave can be challenging.
This Supervisor Briefing examines the law and best practices concerning how a supervisor should comply with the FMLA's requirements for administering intermittent and reduced schedule leave under the FMLA. It covers the following topics:
- The Definition of Intermittent Leave and Reduced Schedule Leave
- Eligibility for Intermittent or Reduced Schedule Leave
- Granting Intermittent or Reduced Schedule Leave
- Employer and Employee Notice Requirements
- Medical Certification Requirements
- Scheduling, Tracking and Calculating Intermittent or Reduced Schedule Leave
- Reinstatement Following Intermittent or Reduced Schedule Leave
- Managing Intermittent and Reduced Schedule Leave
- Test Yourself