Prevent National Origin Discrimination
- National origin discrimination involves treating job applicants or employees unfavorably because such individuals are from a particular country or part of the world, are a certain ethnicity, or have a certain accent or manner.
- An employer should incorporate national origin discrimination and harassment into its discrimination and harassment policies.
- All preemployment inquiries and hiring processes should be free of national origin bias.
- Diversity training can also help to promote an atmosphere of tolerance, and decrease the potential for national origin discrimination.
- An employer should proceed cautiously when it comes to ethnic slurs and stereotypes at work, language fluency requirements and English-only policies.