Protect Employee Confidential Information
- An employer should only require disclosure of employee personal information if the employer needs such information for a specific purpose.
- Employee personal data should be stored securely. Access to employee personal data should only be given to employees with a demonstrated need for the information.
- An employer should have a strict policy against disclosing personal employee information.
- Employees should be advised not to divulge any personal information regarding any employee to an individual without the employee's written consent.
- An employer should have a specific document destruction protocol in place. Paper documents should generally be shredded before being discarded. Electronic records must be completely destroyed.