What happens if federal and state regulations on an involuntary deduction are different?

Author: Ryan F. Donovan

If federal and state regulations cover the same topic, the law or regulation that favors the employee is to be followed. Stated another way, the highest withholding percentage or amount that is compliant with both the state and federal laws is what should implemented. If an employer is unsure on how to proceed, the entity that issues the garnishment should be contacted.