Administer COBRA for a Qualifying Event
When to Use This Workflow
Use the Administer COBRA for a Qualifying Event workflow to determine what steps to take when a qualifying event occurs under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA).
COBRA is a federal law that requires group health plans to offer continuation coverage to certain covered employees, former employees, spouses, former spouses, and dependent children when group health coverage would otherwise be lost due to certain specific events. COBRA contains strict rules for how and when continuation coverage must be offered and provided, how employees and their families may elect continuation coverage, and what circumstances justify terminating continuation coverage.
This workflow is valuable since it can help an employer navigate the law's compliance requirements when a qualifying event has occurred.
- Was coverage lost due to a COBRA qualifying event?
- Is the covered individual a qualified beneficiary entitled to COBRA continuation coverage?
- Did a qualified beneficiary elect coverage?
- Did continuation coverage terminate early?
- Did a qualified beneficiary receive an extension?