Child Labor: Pennsylvania
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Michael R. Galey, Fisher Phillips
- Pennsylvania's Child Labor Act generally applies to minors under 18 years of age.
- Pennsylvania prohibits employers from employing minors in certain occupations. See Prohibited Occupations.
- The law limits the hours minors can work, depending on age, with special rules for child performers. See Hours of Work.
- Minors must receive rest periods. See Break Periods.
- In order to work, minors must have a work permit. Child performers must have a special entertainment permit. See Employment Certificates.